Skip to content Skip to navigation

About the New Zealand Companion Animal Health Foundation

About the New Zealand Companion Animal Health Foundation

KittenNew Zealand has relative freedom from some of the major infectious diseases of companion animals seen in many parts of the world, this often means that international studies don’t directly apply to the New Zealand situation.

The Companion Animal Health Foundation (CAHF) was established in 1998 by the NZVA Companion Animal Society (CAS) executive committee to promote animal health and welfare to benefit companion animals in New Zealand.

This independent animal welfare trust was registered as a charitable entity in 2006 and attracts sponsors, bequests and donations that are distributed in accordance with the trust deeds overarching aim that all projects must be of benefit to companion animals in New Zealand

Aims and Objectives of the Companion Animal Foundation

  • To promote public knowledge in NZ regarding the welfare, breeding, nutrition, management, health, diseases and performance of companion animals.
  • To encourage the study and understanding of companion animals in New Zealand.
  • To foster project or welfare work in connection with companion animals.
  • To assist with projects related to advancing the well-being of all companion animals

Meet our Trustees

See our current projects

See the previously completed projects and publication details

How to Apply

Read the current CAHF Project Grant Terms and Conditions and use this CAHF Application Information guide to make your application.

Send your application along with your CV to the CAS Manager – cas@vets.org.nz. Applications are considered twice yearly – 31 March and 30 September.

If the application is successful you will be asked to sign an acceptance agreement to receive 75% of the grant. The remaining 25% is paid after notifying the Secretary that the project is complete and sending a copy of the relevant article and publication details.